Barkley & Associates, Inc. is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) as an approved provider of nurse practitioner continuing education. Since all state boards of nursing accept AANP credit, this course is approved for continuing education in all states.
After completing this 29-session educational package, NPs will have enhanced skills to use patient assessment data in determining the most appropriate pharmacotherapeutic regimens for optimal patient outcomes. The principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics are covered in detail. Numerous drug types used in the treatment of conditions affecting all physiological systems are emphasized. Analyses of federal regulations and organizational prescribing guidelines are included to encourage a safe and informed prescribing practice.
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Utilize health assessment data in identifying appropriate therapeutic medical regimens
- Integrate knowledge of pharmacokinetics when developing a therapeutic regimen to maximize therapeutic effectiveness while minimizing adverse reactions
- Use knowledge of pharmacodynamics to observe and understand the effects of drugs and/or devices to predict an optimal patient response
- Evaluate the response and compliance of the patient to drugs and/or devices and implement appropriate action, as needed
- Provide appropriate patient education regarding prescribed drugs and/or devices
- Prescribe drugs and/or devices pursuant to applicable laws, codes and/or regulations, including knowledge of Pharmacy Rules and Regulations, Health and Safety Codes, and the Federal Register
- Examine appropriate guidelines for the pharmacological management of selected health care syndromes/diseases commonly encountered with awareness of patients’ nutrition, culture, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status
- Implement knowledge and awareness of the role of herbal and natural remedies while treating disease states.