This version of our 45-Hour Advanced Pharmacology Course is specially designed for nurse practitioners (NPs) applying for furnishing privileges in the state of California, as well as for California NPs seeking continuing education. The course is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing and meets all state requirements.
After completing this 30-session educational package, NPs will have enhanced skills to use patient assessment data in determining the most appropriate pharmacotherapeutic regimens for optimal patient outcomes. The principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics are covered in detail. Numerous drug types used in the treatment of conditions affecting all physiological systems are emphasized. Analyses of state and federal regulations and organizational furnishing guidelines are included to encourage a safe and informed prescribing practice.
(Adapted from the California Board of Registered Nursing Nurse Practitioner Furnishing Number Application)
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Use data obtained from the health assessment of the patient to identify an appropriate therapeutic regimen, including drugs and/or devices
- Use knowledge of pharmacokinetics when developing a therapeutic regimen that maximizes the therapeutic effectiveness while minimizing adverse reactions
- Use knowledge of pharmacodynamics to observe and understand the effects of drugs and/or devices to predict an optimal patient
- Evaluate the response and compliance of the patient to drugs and/or devices and implement appropriate action
- Provide appropriate patient education regarding furnished/prescribed drugs and/or devices
- Furnish/prescribe drugs and/or devices pursuant to standardized procedures and in conformance with applicable laws, codes and/or regulations, including knowledge of Pharmacy Rules and regulations, Health and Safety Codes, and the Federal Register
- Examine appropriate guidelines for the pharmacological management of selected health care syndromes/diseases commonly encountered with awareness of patients’ nutrition, culture, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status
- Use knowledge and awareness of the role of herbal and natural remedies while treating disease states